Thursday, May 2, 2013

MAY 2, 2013

            Jason Collins, a center for the National Basketball Association's Washington Wizards, has announced that he's gay.  "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center" he told Sports illustrated, "I'm black and I'm gay."

     It's a first for the NBA and, I
think, for men in professional sports generally.  There have been women, notably tennis stars like Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova.  When King was outed, she reportedy lost endorsements and therefore money but she came back.

     We don't know
how this will affect Collins.  Initial reports are that his teammates are supportive.  One Washington Post report quotes Condoleeza Rice, "You have to make the impossiible inevitable."

     I was never an all-star at any sport, but if I h
ad been I'd like to think I owed it to talent, period, not sexual preferences.

     Good luck, Mr. Collins.

    






 

No comments: