Friday, March 29, 2013

Fwd: MARCH 28, 2013

Well, I guess the Supreme Court has decided not to mess with same-sex marriage, but to leave it to the states.  Several--I think eight, maybe nine--have approved it. Many more--thirty-something--have laws against it, but the number of states appoving it is the one that's going up.  A trend, I think.

 

It's a trend that conforms to an old prejudice of mine--namely, that there are many things for which you don't need a law.

Want to dye your hair blue?  Go ahead.  If you don't, don't.  Want to eat only vegetables?  Or worship according to a religion you invented?  Fine.  If not, also fine.

When you need a law, I think--trials and punishments and all that--is when what you want to do will hurt someone else--burn down your neighbor's house, shoot him, that kind of thing.  Of course we shouldn't be free to act like that.

So I'm for where I think the Court will wind up, guided, it seems from the newspaper reports, by it's supreme authority on this issue, Justice Kennedy.  Four liberals, four conservatives, and a Kennedy.  Sounds like a decision to me, 

 


No comments: