Friday, March 1, 2013

FEBRUARY 26, 2013

I turned on the TV the other day, and there was a baseball game.  My first reaction was, "Wow!"  Yes, it's that time of year again.   I like sports--football, basketball, and so on.  Maybe I like watching them because as a kid I was so bad at playing them.

My father was a fan;  maybe that's why I was as a kid.  We lived in Chicago.  His team, therefore mine, was the Cubs.  As a grownup--in this column--I tend to describe them with three "h"s--hapless, helpless, and hopeless.  They weren't so bad back then--they won the pennant in, I think, 1945, though they stayed true to form by losing the World Series to, I think, the Detroit Tigers in, I think, seven games.

Oh well.   Here we go again.  Do old Cub ghosts--a brilliant third baseman named Stan Hack, a sometimes slugging outfielder who nickname was "Swish" --do they get to watch?  The Cubs, by the way, haven't won a pennant since '45..

The Washington team--the Nationals--made the playoffs last year but not--it's more complicated now--the Series.  This year?  Ya gotta have hope.  That's part of the charm.   . 




 


No comments: