Friday, February 28, 2014

FEBRUARY 21, 2014

      I think the Republicans in the Senate are planning a surprise attack.


      At least, that's the impression you get from a story in the Washington Post today.  It describes the campaign office--camouflage netting, sandbags, and a quote from one hero about being at war every day.  I guess the GOP hid the machine guns.

     Still, there is an election this fall and control of the Senate (now Democratic) and the House (now Republican) are prime targets. There are 435 House members, divided among  the states according to population--New York, many;  Wyoming, few.  All are up for election every two years. There are 100 senators, two per state.  They serve six year terms, so only a third are up this year.  The current lineup--50 Democrats, 42 Republicans, 2 independents;

     What are the chances of a GOP triumph?  The Republicans say, good, look at the mess over Obamacare.  Democrats can answer yes, the debut was sloppy, but people seem to like the bill itself;  good numbers are signing up.

      I wish I knew the answer, but I'm retired now, not out there campaigning.  If I had to bet, I'd bet on the Dems, but boy, would I be nervous.

    

 

     


     

      

No comments: