Wednesday, April 21, 2010

April 21, 2010

        Good news!  I'm still a second-class citizen.  Yes, that's the good news.      Unlike first-class American citizens, I don't have a voting representative in Congress.  The Constitution says the states will choose the members of Congress and the District isn't a state, it's a district--or a colony, you call it.      This week the House considered what it called a compromise.  It would have granted D.C. a voting Congressman in exchange for repealing most of the District's gun laws. Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District's non-voting delegate to Congress, said the compromise would have barred the District from prohibiting concealed or openly carried guns.  No thanks, Congress.  It was only last month that four teenagers were shot dead on a D.C. street, and that's with the gun control laws we now have.         D.C. City Council Chairman Leonard Gray said, "'I've got to look people in the face, and when they look back at me, I want them to respect me.  I honestly believe they will not respect me when they hear I traded their safety for a vote in Congress.      Well said, Mr. Gray.  This second-class citizen wholeheartedly agrees.  
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: