Saturday, December 29, 2012

DECEMBER 21, 2012


      The news is saying that Chuck Hagel, the former Republican senator from Nebraska, may be President Obama's choice for Secretary of Defense.  Well, Mr. President, you could go further and do much worse.
 
     The first good thing about Hagel is that he's been to war--Vietnam--and in fact was wounded there. Wars are ugly;  if you've been to one, you know that.  Hagel knows that.  The Washingon Post quotes him as saying, "I remember thinking to myself, you know, if I ever get out of all this, I am going to do everything I can to assure that war is the last resort that we as a nation, a people calls upon to settle a dispute.  The horror of it, the pain of it, the sufferiing of it.  People just don't understand it unless they've been through it."

     Pretty good words for a possible Sec Def.  Some presidents have known war first hand, of course--Grant, Einsenhower, Kennedy.  Obama hasn't and I can't think of anyone better to stand at his shoulder if war beckons than Chuck Hagel.

     Hell, if George W Bush had had him, we might be at peace today.

    

 

No comments: