Monday, January 2, 2012

January 2, 2012

Today is a kind of toy holiday for most Americans.  The real New Year's Day was, of course, yesterday.  The government and a lot of businesses are closed today so employees do get that extra day off.  For a smaller group of us – political junkies – the New Year really starts tomorrow.  That's when Iowans go to those caucuses and declare:  "I'm for Jones;"  "I'm for Smith;"  or "I'm for none of the above."  Actually, you can't do "none of the above" at a caucus but it might be fun if you could.  What if "none" won?

 

Anyway, it's starting – the whole wonderful, foolish panorama:  Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, etc.

 

Predictions are common at these things.  I will offer only one:  the man usually labeled the frontrunner, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, won't get it.  Runs in the family, I guess.  His father, George, was once governor of Michigan.  He didn't get it either.

 

Who will?  I have absolutely no idea.  The woman?  I'd say no.  but she was born in the state, represents neighboring Minnesota in the Congress and you just never know with these things what will happen.

I guess that's their charm.

 

I plan to stare at the television more than usual, read the newspapers with more than usual interest – in general, behave like the junkie I am and get my fix.

 

Allow me one more prediction:  I will have something to say about it.  See you Wednesday.

No comments: